22 Jan 2017

Film Color Grading (Day for Night)

For my Media Film I need the location to look like it was shot at night time (or at dawn).

However, I realise that actually making a film at night will be very difficult.  Firstly it will be hard to see what my actors and I am doing in the dark but also, digital cameras find it very difficult to capture clear video at night as they require a lot of light.

I have therefore decided to shoot my film during the day (starting at 10am to be more precise) p I will then try to add filters to my footage in order to give the impression that the film was set at night - a techniques called 'Day for Night'.

I have researched into this technique and I think I can do it. I know that I will need to desaturate the colour (making it more black and white) and add more contrast to the image and lower the brightness as there is very little colour at night time.  I will also add colour to the film using a blue filter which is often associated with moonlight.

Here are the the results of some experimentation with this technique:


Fig #1 
This is a example of a mid-close-up shot.
Here I have applied a blue tint to the image which is 
the first step to making the shot appear like it was taken at night.


Fig #2 
This is a example of a mid-shot.
After I finished step one, I then add contrast and lower the overall brightness of the image 
which gives it the night time look I want to see in my film.



Fig #3
This is a example of a Establishing Shot.
The last step was to add fog over the lower part of the image for a more cinematic effect.  I have also added film boarders and a title to make it look more professional. 

No comments:

Post a Comment