31 Mar 2017

Evaluation (2)

Evaluation Question 2:
How does my opening sequence represent particular social groups?

My opening sequence introduces four key characters (DAVY, JONES, BODY-BAG and THE BOSS) although we only ever see the faces, and hear the voices, of two of the first two - the main Hitmen.

Below I have listed each character in the order they appear and have outlined how I have used them in my film, the role that they represent, and the way the audience is meant to react to and understand each of them.  The roles that some of the characters are representing (eg. the protagonist / the antagonist) change as my opening sequence progresses so I have described each one as I think the audience would understand them at the end of the sequence.

I have also provided some background information on the actors and against each character I have given some information on any cultural signifiers, stereotypes, or other identity characteristics I think are important.

I feel that the characters seen in my Opening Sequence, and the actors I have selected to play them are representative of the audience I would like to target - see Evaluation Questions 4 and 5.



DAVY


The character of DAVY is intended to be the Antagonist (although it could be said that he is only following orders from The Boss and therefore The Boss could also be seen as an antagonist?).  

Davy and Jones are both initially seen wearing the same costumes (polythene overalls), both are male and are of similar height and race and so are initially portrayed as equals, but Davy’s actions on screen soon tell the audience that he is probably the leader of the two Hitmen.  For example Jones is “doing all the work” and struggling to drag a heavy body-bag, whilst Davy is causally walking in front carrying only a shovel. Davy is also the one who chooses the spot where the body will be buried, not Jones. Davy is clearly in charge.

DAVY is played by my friend Matt Conroy (Height 5’8”, aged 16, white/British).  I chose Matt to play the role of the leader of the two hitmen as his appearance is more tidy, formal/smart (for example his hair is short and tidy) and I would say that he looks more professional and experienced as a Hitman than the actor playing Jones.



JONES


The character of JONES is intended to be the Protagonist.  He is also a Hitman and therefore seen as ‘bad guy’, but I wanted the audience to be on his side at the end of the sequence.

JONES is played by my friend Jake Gooding (Height 6’1”, aged 17, white/British).  Although Jake is both taller and older, he is seen in my film as subservient, to Matt.  His appearance is more scruffy with longer dyed hair.

Both Jones and Davy are supposed to be representing a lower social class.  They are carrying out the orders of The Boss, they are the workers.




BODY-BAG


BODY-BAG (who we eventually find out is also called TONY) represents the Victim.  Little is known about this character in the opening sequence and we have no visual clues to his identity - he also never speaks.  As the story progresses we learn that Tony is working with Jones to steal money from The Boss, so he is probably also a hitman with similar characteristics to Davy and Jones?

BODY-BAG/TONY is played by my Brother Ben Wright (aged 14) - for the purpose of my opening sequence the character is not important other than to serve as the victim - he is used more as a prop.




THE BOSS


THE BOSS represents another Antagonist.  He is never actually seen, and therefore not such an important character, but the way in which Davy speaks of him informs the audience that he is the main person giving the orders

Even though we never see him, the characteristics of The Boss are cleverly portrayed through the actions and dialogue of both Davy and Jones who are clearly scared of him. Leading the audience to believe he is probably a formidable person

If I had to choose an actor to play The Boss  I would look for someone who looks superior/powerful/intense, and someone who could look and act like they are from a higher social class, and is older that all of the other characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment