31 Mar 2017

Evaluation (6)


Evaluation Question 6:
What have I learnt about technologies from the process of constructing my product?

The use of technology has been vital in my Media Studies course and it has assisted me in almost every task I have done when constructing the product.

Camera Equipment:

One key technology that gave my sequence a professional look on screen was the Camera which was a Canon 600D.  This camera is a DSLR (digital single-lens reflex) which means that it combines the optics and mechanism of a single-lens reflex camera with a digital imaging sensor.  Some of the specs. of this camera include:

  • 18-megapixel CMOS sensor
  • Scene Intelligent Auto mode
  • Full-HD EOS Movie 
  • On-screen Feature Guide
  • Up to 3.7fps continuous shooting
  • Wide-area 9-point AF 
  • 1,040k-dot vari-angle 7.7cm (3.0”) screen 
  • Basic+ and Creative Filters  
  • Built-in wireless flash control


I also used a variety of lenses (50 mm, 15-25mm wide angle, and zoom lens).  I have learnt that 50mm lenses are favoured for medium-shots because they provide a natural and flattering image which is sized to feel like what you would see if you were actually standing at the location and looking at the action though your own eyes.  I also used a  Wide-Angled lens (typically a lens of 35mm or wider/lower) which can capture a great expanse of the location in a single shot without needing to pan the camera from side to side.

Sound Equipment:

To make sure I recorded the audio really well I used an external microphone.  I wanted to make sure that the sound on my film was going to be as goos as the image, I asked my dad for some help to record the audio.  I needed his help because it would be very difficult for me to concentrate on filming with the camera whilst also trying to make sure the sound was being captured well.

  • Directional Microphone
  • Wind Shield
  • Boom Pole
  • XLR Lead
  • Zoom Recorder 


The film was recorded on a very windy day in the forest, so I learnt that we needed to use a wind-shield over the mic which stops some of the wind hitting the microphone itself.  The microphone I used was called a shotgun-mic which is very directional, this means it records the sound in front of the mic really well, and not the unwanted sound coming from the sides or rear of the mic.  The mic was attached to a long pole (called a boom-pole) so it could be held above and close to the actors but just outside of the area being filmed.  The mic was connected to a digital recording device (called a Zoom recorder) using an XLR lead.

Post Production:

In post production, I used special software called 'AfterEffects' to overlay a picture of a skeleton in the ground over the video.  I moved this picture slowly downwards which makes it look like a camera is moving upwards until it reveals the video underneath. 

The final visual effect in my film is where Davy shoots the Body-Bag and we see blood splatter and the gun hole in the Body-Bag.  I wanted to do this to add more action into my opening sequence.  Again I used the software 'AfterEffects' to achieve this. 

AfterEffects allows you to overlay an image or a video sequence on top of another one.  I overlaid a video of a blood splatter and an image of a gun-shot hole on to the video I recorded of the Body-Bag falling over.  I used the software to track the movement of the body-bag as it fell to the ground and made the image of the gun-shot hole follow this movement, frame-by-frame.

and lots more!

I have learnt so much about technologies and techniques in the process of constructing my final product?  I have recorded most of the things I have learnt within many, many individual blog posts, for example click on the links below for a lot more information:


No comments:

Post a Comment